Passport control

Your first step after arriving at Gatwick is to clear passport control.

Passport control

If possible, we recommend that you use the e-passport gates which will speed up your journey through the border. The Home Office have a video explaining e-passport gates and tips for getting through passport control quickly

There are two separate areas. One for European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EEA), British nationals and Swiss nationals and the other for all other nationalities.


epassport gates

If you are over 12 and have a chipped EU passport, then you can use the e-passport gates when you arrive at Gatwick. Simply scan your passport on arrival. 

New: anyone with a valid e-passport over the age of 12 can now use the e-passport gates.

If you aren’t eligible to use the e-passport gates or prefer not to, then please wait for the next available border force officer.

Non EU/Non EEA passport holders

International passports


If you do not hold an EU passport, please go to the left hand side of our arrivals hall. Please ensure you have any visas and landing cards completed correctly before you get the border control officer.

Note: your passport must not expire during your visit.

For full details on entry requirements into the UK, visit the Border Force website.

Tips for getting through passport control quickly

By following a few simple tips, we can get you through passport control and on your way as quickly as possible:

  1. Use e-passport gates if possible: If you are over 12 and hold a chipped British, EU, EEA or Swiss e-passport, it’s probably much quicker to use the e-gates. Make sure your passport is removed from its holder and have it open and ready at the photo page. Simply follow the on screen instructions.
  2. Non EU passport holders: Make sure you’ve filled out your landing card correctly before you join the queue. Make sure your passport is out of its holder and open at the photo page, along with your necessary visa and landing card. Keep an eye out for the next available border officer.

Citizens of Argentina, Belize, Brazil, Brunei, Chile, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Israel, Malaysia, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay and Uruguay can now use the Registered Traveller Scheme.

Registered Traveller Service

Fully enrolled Registered Traveller members don't have to fill in a landing card every time they visit the UK. Those with a biometric chipped passport can now benefit from using the e-passport gates at Gatwick.

Find out more information about the Registered Traveller Service to see if you are eligible to apply or watch a video from the Home Office.

Travelling with an unrelated child or a child with a different surname

If you are travelling with a child - that's anyone under 18 - and are not the child's parent, or may appear not to be the parent (for example, if you have a different family name), the border officer may ask you a few questions to establish your relationship with the child.

It will help avoid confusion if you carry evidence of your relationship with the child and/or the reason why you are travelling with the child.

This evidence could include copies of:

  • a birth or adoption certificate showing your relationship with the child
  • divorce / marriage certificates if you are the parent but have a different surname to the child
  • a letter from the child’s parent/s giving authority for the child to travel with you and providing contact details if you are not the parent.

Please complete our young traveller's form and bring it with you if you're travelling with a child who is not your relative or if you are an unaccompanied minor.

You can also find out more in the Children Travelling to the UK leaflet published on the Border Force website.